Sometimes people got confused while creating a cluster in Windows Server. They think they have to create a static record in DNS as they are doing in WNLB. The right thing is you do not have to create the record because it will be created automatically on condition that you have enabled dynamic update on DNS zone.
If you created the record manually you might get error 1196 that “Cluster network name resource ‘Cluster Name’ failed registration of one or more associated DNS name(s) for the following reason:
DNS operation refused.
Ensure that the network adapters associated with dependent IP address resources are configured with at least one accessible DNS server”
Any way you can solve this issue be deleting the record and it shall be created by itself again “try to start the cluster service if the record was not updated automatically”
Or go through the following steps
Go to DNS, find the record ( A & Pointer record) for the cluster name resource.
- Make a right click
- Go to properties
- In the security make sure the “Authenticated users” are included
- Make sure it has “Write: rights and Special permissions
- Click Advance, locate authenticated users, and click edit
- Make sure, Write all properties, Read permissions, All Validated Writes selected
- Click OK three times to exit.